Thursday, April 9, 2020

Streaming Spotlight: Disney+

Hey Film Fans!

With the current situation we're in, I am sure a lot of you like myself are stuck at home most days and need entertainment to help pass the time. I've circled around and back through all the streaming services, adding certain shows and movies to my watchlists, some old that I've seen and some new that I wouldn't have if I didn't have this much free time on my hands. Now truth be told I haven't completed watching ALL of these shows and movies but I spread them out to A: have some variety and B: keep my time filled. Without further ado, here's today's Streaming Spotlight!



DISNEY+




THE WORLD ACCORDING TO JEFF GOLDBLUM

When Disney+ launched on November 12th, 2019, it launched on the backs of its original titles as a push for subscribers. One of those titles was 'The World According to Jeff Goldblum', a reality series co-produced by National Geographic starring the famed Dr. Malcolm himself. I can't tell you how much I love this series for its wide variety of topics that are covered, but also for its zany host. Jeff Goldblum brings a childlike curiosity to each episode, doing as little research on the topics as possible. This gives us as the audience an opportunity to learn with Jeff Goldblum, and not from him. From Sneakers to Tattoos to Korean BBQ and more, this is definitely one of my favorite shows the service has offered so far and is definitely worth the binge. Season 2 is expected later this year!


STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN

I can't talk about this series without first thanking some of those who worked on it. Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Deborah Chow, Taika Waititi and a long list of hard-working, dedicated filmmakers who brought this show to life. The Mandalorian is easily the best piece of Star Wars media since 2005. Set 5 years after Return of the Jedi, the series follows Din Djarin, a bounty hunter who is given a job that changes his fate. It is Star Wars in a spaghetti western coating, and it is certainly delicious. Another title that launched with the service, Season 2 is also expected later this year.



THE IMAGINEERING STORY

Another Disney+ original, The Imagineering Story details the growth of the Disney company's animatronic and theme park divisions. Starting when Walt Disney first started dreaming up the idea for Disneyland, going to the expansion of theme parks around the world all the way to the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in Anaheim and a tease of what's to come in the future. it's a nice peek inside how Disney magic has been made and evolved over time. If you're a fan of Disney and the parks like myself, this is surely not one to miss out on. 


FUTURE AVENGERS

Scrolling through everything Disney+ has available, I stumbled upon this series that first aired in Japan in 2017. Future Avengers is an anime that follows three genetically modified teenagers raised by Hydra to believe that the Avengers are the real villains. I've never been a huge fan of anime but in the past few years I've been introduced to many different shows by friends. My Hero Academia, Food Wars and One Punch Man being among them (I’ll cover those tomorrow for my Hulu spotlight). I haven't seen ALL of the episodes just yet but I've enjoyed it enough so far as to say it's a good bet I can recommend this one!


THE AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES

If you're looking for a more traditionally-animated, mostly faithful adaptation of the source material, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes might work for you. This series started airing in 2010 on Disney XD and featured a more faithful lineup to the team seen in the comic books. Mostly aimed at kids but there are some great stories told for each individual Avenger in this series. The episode in which Black Panther fights the team at Avengers Mansion is one of my personal favorites!


SPIDER-MAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES

Yes, of course I had to put this on the list. This is the show that really sold me on the concept of Spider-Man. This is the show where I learned about Peter Parker, Aunt May, Mary Jane and the like. This is the show that inspired my comic book reading, I wanted to know more. This series was also the basis for a really kick ass video game for the original PlayStation, narrated by the one and only Stan Lee, which I played endlessly. Spider-Man: The Animated Series, which aired in the early '90s, is an almost perfect representation, not only of Spidey's small corner, but of the larger Marvel Universe as a whole. Filled with cameos!


DISNEY/PIXAR'S ONWARD

Originally opening in theaters on March 6th, Onward was quickly released on digital platforms as well as Disney+ not too long thereafter due to the current pandemic. My full review of the film will arrive later this week, but I'm putting it on the list because I have to say this film is full of heart and creativity. I wasn't a huge fan of director Dan Scanlon's first outing with Pixar, Monsters University, and while parts of this film feel like a lesser DreamWorks Animated feature, there's enough Pixar magic here to say it's a fun way to spend an hour and a half of your time. 


THE SIMPSONS

Yep. Disney owns The Simpsons. They've even produced a new animated short titled “Playdate with Destiny” (which premiered in front of Onward in theaters), which will premiere tomorrow on the service. Thirty glorious seasons of the family from the town of Springfield, (your state here) are available now. Just hook it to my veins!













No comments:

Post a Comment